St John the Baptist Church is a small inner city church slotted into a busy shopping thoroughfare and has undergone a £400,000 restoration programme in recent years.
Built in 1876 at a cost of £1,830, the Church building was designed by the Revd E Sugden. The consecration of the Church took place on the 14th April, 1887 at a service presided over by the then Bishop of Brechin, and Primus, the Most Revd Hugh Willoughby Jermyn. Our first Priest in Charge was Revd Gilbert Francis Moore. (1876-188)
The stained glass windows in the Sanctuary depicted St Clement, St Jerome, St Augustine, St Mary the Virgin, St Andrew and St Ambrose. After a break-in a new Millennium window was designed to replace the St Jerome window and was dedicated in the year 2000.
The reredos panels in our main altar show –
St John the Baptist (left);
The Magi presenting their gifts to the Christ child in the manger (centre);
St John the Evangelist (right).
There are also eight carved shields – left to right
1. The Armourial Shield of the Diocese of Brechin;
2. The Lamb of God with Halo & Staff
3. I.H.S. – the first three Greek letters for the name of Jesus (IHSOUS)
4. Orb Surmounted by a Cross
5. Crown with crossed Palms
6. The sceptre with crown
7. The empty tomb
8. Crossed keys with Alpha & Omega
There are also 16 small carvings in the Chancel and Sanctuary (descriptions in our Guide to the Interior booklet)
As well as our main altar, we have a side Altar which is used for our Thursday Morning service, small Weddings and smaller services such as Lenten addresses. Behind the side altar is the organ which has recently been moved to this position having previously ‘lived’ at the back of the Church for many years.
At the rear of the Church is a beautiful marble Baptismal Font with a counter balanced carved wooded cover. Behind the font are the Baptistry windows. The round one depicts the baptism of Jesus; the left window shows Christ’s Nativity and the right one – Jesus blessing children.
A more detailed history of St John the Baptist can be found here.
Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC001147