Early in the Twentieth Century, the Rector and Vestry of St Salvador’s took the decision to open a ‘Mission Church’ in Derby Street to cope with the demand for Episcopal worship. The original building of Saint Martin’s was completed and dedicated on November 11th 1904 – the anniversary of St Martin of Tours. The then Bishop of Brechin, Rt Rev. Dr Roberts, presided at the Dedication Service. The ‘Mission’ remained under the overview of St Salvador’s until 1930 when it attained its independence under its then minister Rev J. Robertson.
In 1936, a new hall was opened by the Earl of Mar & Kellie. The old hall, which had been a school, had been condemned and demolished in 1932. This hall had housed the overflow of pupils from Rockwell School and prior to this, it had been a private school, the Head being a Mr Gow who had the nickname ‘Fizzy’ bestowed on him by the pupils. But why?? We have no idea.
In 1954, when the congregation celebrated its Jubilee, there was a big effort which saw the installation of a new Heating System and the Church redecorated. However, three months later came disaster! Dry rot was discovered and the remedial work took a long time. No sooner had this been completed when the roof of the Hall fell in! It took five years of hard work before all repairs were completed and all bills paid.
In November 1967, the last Service was celebrated in the original building prior to demolition due to the development of the area. In May 1972, our present building was consecrated by Bishop John Sprott. He was handed the keys to the Church by Mr John Morrison, who went on to become a Curate on the Staff. Under the Rev. Joe Morrow the Halls were put to good use for the benefit of the local community providing such facilities as a Pancake Bar, Playgroup, Nursery, After-school Club and Old Folks’ Club.
This is only a brief history of our Church. In its first 100 years it has played a full part in the life of the people it was built to serve. It showed God’s love and proclaimed the message of salvation to all. Today, we celebrate and give God thanks for the foresight of those who took the decision to build our church back in 1904. We look to God’s Holy Spirit to guide and direct us into our second 100 years.